Honey is not suitable for babies

 honey may not be suitable for baby

Honey is very nutritious and delicious, but it is not suitable for babies. Food poisoning may occur when babies consume the honey, it is therefore important for parent to avoid feeding babies who are below one year old with honey.

An very harm bacterium called Clostridium botulinum can be easily found in the soil. The bee will usually bring this bacterium to the hive together with the honey, this causes the honey to be polluted with the Clostridium botulinum. Even a small trace of Clostridium botulinum in honey can cause food poisoning for babies.

Furthermore, during transportation or processing of honey, honey may also be contaminated by the Clostridium botulinum. This bacterium has very good adaptability and can even survive temperature higher than 100 degree celcius. Because of the strong immunization system, Clostridium botulinum will not proliferate and cause food poisoning in adult. However, this is not the case for babies whose immunization system is still weak. Clostridium botulinum will easily proliferate in their bodies and result in production of the toxins which can affect babies' health.

It is therefore important for parents not to feed babies with honey.

Share this Article: